Farming Status and Plans
Farming status:Not currently farming
Description of farming status, plans, and practices:
Status: Seeking land for farm project.
Plans: Social enterprise + production farm, most likely with non-profit structure. Probably at least 1/2 acre vegetables (potentially 5+ acres), with other enterprises depending on site. Mission centered around farmer training + social justice + economic mobility + real advancement for young farmers of color.
Practices: Emphasis on limiting ecological impact. Organic-equivalent, reduced tillage, limited inputs, pasture-based animals, etc.
Description of marketing method:
Does this farmer have a business plan?In progress
Preferred location:Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Westchester
Desired acreage:1-5, 6-10, 11-20, 21-50, 51-100, >100
Crops and Livestock
Description of livestock/crops:
Probably requiring at least some vegetables; other enterprises depend on suitability of site. At most: fruit, other perennials, cut flowers, very limited grains; chickens and/or ducks.
Tenure options desired:Farm Management, Partnership, For Sale, Other Tenure Agreement
Will this farmer's operation qualify an eligible landowner for an Agricultural Assessment?Maybe
Experience & education:Farm management, Farm employee
- 7+ years as a beginning farmer trainer and mentor at farm-based nonprofit organizations.
- Grew up on a 160-acre farm (sheep, hay, field crops).
- Managed a mobile poultry processing facility for five seasons.
- Co-managed a pasture-raised chicken operation for one season.
- Masters degree in land use planning and environmental policy.