Farming Status and Plans
Farming status:Full time
Preferred location:Southeast, Columbia, Dutchess, Greene, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Sullivan, Ulster, Westchester
Desired acreage:6-10, 11-20, 21-50, 51-100, >100
Crops and Livestock
Tenure options desired:Farm Management, For Lease, Partnership, Other Tenure Agreement
Will this farmer's operation qualify an eligible landowner for an Agricultural Assessment?Maybe
Experience & education:Farm employee, Farm internship/apprenticeship
Dedicated to contributing and learning more about sustainable agriculture by working with farmers and organizations that understand and promote the importance of understanding our ecosystem and the integrated system of plant and animal production practices.
· Good understanding of common farm operations.
· Ability to work in extreme weather conditions and physically fit.
· Very organized, adaptable, and a lifelong learner.
· Business and tech savvy.
· Excellent time management.
· Passionate about community engagement and youth education.
FARMING AND LIVESTOCK EXPERIENCE
· Manual and mechanical planting and cultivating of vegetables and field crops, including tilling soil, transplanting, weeding, thinning, and pruning.
· Harvesting crops, including cleaning, packing, and loading picked products.
· Use of hand tools, power tools and farm machinery such as table saws, drills, tractor operation, manual truck and trailer driving. Skilled at repairing mowers, balers, cultivators and water pumps.
· Constructing trellises and fences, basic building repair, and installation of drip irrigation systems.
· Animal husbandry, including breeding, birthing and hand raising young. Comfortable with livestock food preparation, herding to pasture and chutes, cleaning and disinfecting stalls, examining animals to detect diseases or injuries, giving topical and oral medication, administering vaccinations, band castration and hoof care.
· Organizing and engaging in farm sales through farmer’s markets and farm events.
K & H Meyer Farms, Colton, WA 03/2016 to Present FARM HAND
· Maintained and operated machinery including tractor, combine, double-clutch trucks.
· Managed the grounds by building fences, clearing pastures and performing weed control.
· Planted and harvested 2100 acres of wheat, lentils and barely and assisted in hay production for winter feed and sales.
· Managed cattle herd including feeding, herding, hand raising where needed and humane processing.
Terembry Farm, Sumerduck, VA 4/ 2015 to 8/ 2015
· Goat and chicken husbandry, managed a flock of 250 free-range laying hens.
· Created a Lactic-Acid Bacteria fermentation feeding system.
· Managed over an acre of tilled gardens producing tomatoes, peppers, bush beans, leaf lettuce, okra, oats, melons, and cucumbers.
· Identified and harvested wild apothecary plants.
· Worked the farmers markets twice a week.
· Maintenance and repair of facilities equipment for chicken houses and layer nests.
Heifer International, Rutland, MA 8/2014 to 4/2015
· Animal husbandry for sheep, goats, cattle, swine, camelids, and poultry including food preparation, herding, hoof care, deworming, breeding and birthing.
· Facility maintenance including electric fence installation, snow blowing, appliance installation and painting.
· Performed educational tours and participated in community outreach events.
Broad River Pastures, Elberton, Georgia 2/ 2014 to 5/ 2014
· Animal husbandry for rabbit, sheep, swine and poultry including food preparation, herding to pasture for grazing, and cleaning/disinfecting stalls.
· Farm maintenance including cultivating crops using hand tools and tractor.
· Lead educational tours of gardens and livestock.
· Holistic Management International: Holistic Grazing Planning, 2019
· Holistic Management International: Introduction to Whole Farm/Ranch Planning, 2016
· Brookdale Community College, 2009-2010
· Temple University, 2006-2007
· Manalapan High School, 2002-2006