Farming Status and Plans
Farming status:Not currently farming
Description of farming status, plans, and practices:
Hello and thank you for visiting my profile. I am currently a licensed Landscape Architect practicing in New York City for the past 3 years. Prior, I was working as a Landscape Architect in Florida for 3 years. I am originally from Kansas, and graduated with a Master of Landscape Architecture from Kansas State University (2014) - where both of my parents also graduated, with degrees in agriculture and horticulture. I come from a family of farmers; however, "Big Ag" has in two generations caused my great-grandfather's small farm to become obsolete, forcing my grandpa to lease from larger entities, and causing my father to choose a careen in grain elevator managment.
Farming Plans & Aspirations
I aspire to be a small farmer in the Hudson Valley, with hopes to eventually share this area's small farming culture, ideas, and practices with my Kansas contemporaries.
To start, I would ideally apprentice at another farm, while leasing a small portion of their land. Eventually I will own my own farm, and cultivate the land using regenerative practices. My passion for farming is rooted in the soil, and extends to a much greater concern for the future of the planet.
Knowledge. I need to learn more, and gain more experience before owning and operating my own land. I am flexible as to what this arrangement would look like. Ideally, I could help a farm run their operations - with tasks ranging from administrative to manual labor. Eventually, if I could lease land to cultivate a medium sized "test" garden, or hoop house. The catch is that I live with my husband in NYC. We are willing to relocate for the right arrangement. He practices as a Landscape Architect and can work remotely. Alternatively, I can live in temporary housing on the farm during the week.
Does this farmer have a business plan?No
Preferred location:Southeast, Dutchess, Westchester
Desired acreage:1-5, 6-10, 11-20, 21-50, 51-100, >100
Infrastructure required:Onsite housing, Barns or other facilities for storage of equipment, livestock, and crops, Farm equipment, Water access, Electrical Access
Crops and Livestock
Primary crops:Vegetables, Fruits, Grains, Ornamentals, Hay, Other Crops
Primary Livestock:Cattle - Beef, Cattle - Dairy, Equine, Goats/Sheep, Pigs, Poultry, Other livestock
Tenure options desired:Farm Management, For Lease, Partnership, For Sale, Other Tenure Agreement
Description of tenure options desired:
I am flexible, and would ideally like to join an entity as an employee or partner with the long term intention that I could carry on the legacy of the land and its prior patrons.
Will this farmer's operation qualify an eligible landowner for an Agricultural Assessment?Maybe
Experience & education:Farm employee
- Limited farming experience - mainly labor tasks
- Plant nursery - mainly labor tasks
- Building construction - basic framing, window installation, etc.
- Fluent in all standard office programs, such as excel and Word
Skills gained through 5+ years of professional experience as a Landscape Architect:
- Project management - such as budgeting, proposal writing, managing staff, developing schedules
- Land planning and design - such as site analysis and mapping, soil assessment, water management, general site layout design, planting design
- Understanding of soil and plant dynamics. I am a bit rusty on my north-eastern plants, but I can identify basic tree species. I have advanced knowledge of tropical plant species, but that may not be relevant.
- Graphic Design - I am fluent in programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign and can create logos and other marketing material.
- Communication - My writing skills are good. My verbal skills are good. My social skills are excellent. Respect, honestly, and a warm demeanor go a long way.