Farming Status and Plans
Description of farming status, plans, and practices:
PROJECT (lead and designed by Ignacio Ferrada)
Blueberry Farm in High Tunnel Cultivation System (Hudson Valley NY, Central NY, Adirondacks NY or Capital Area NY)
Blueberry Farm Project main aspects:
- Highbush type blueberry plantation (northern varieties), potted plant system.
- To be developed in one of the following areas (within NY state): Hudson Valley, Central NY, Adirondacks NY, Capital Area.
- Project designed for a maximum of 10 planted acres (requirement of usable/tillable total land area no larger than 15 well leveled acres) setting up a High Tunnel Crop System with a high density plantation (around 10 times bigger than the traditional system) to obtain better fruit quality, higher yields per acre, and higher incomes/profitability per surface unit.
- The initial stage of the project is considered for planting 2 acres during the first year, and the progressive planting of more acres is considered according to the availability of financial resources to invest (as an example 2 acres within the first year, 2 more acres the second year, and so on until completing 10 acres).
- The project is initially considered for blueberry but could eventually consider the introduction of other species of berries such as raspberry, blackberry, maqui berry and some other species of wild berries.
Does this farmer have a business plan?In progress
Preferred location:Eastern, Albany, Rensselaer, Southeast, Columbia, Dutchess, Greene, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Sullivan, Ulster, Westchester
Desired acreage:1-5, 6-10, 11-20, 21-50
Infrastructure required:Onsite housing, Water access, Electrical Access
Description of water access required:
Water available for the implementation of an automated irrigation/fertigation system
Crops and Livestock
Primary crops:Vegetables, Fruits, Other Crops
Description of livestock/crops:
Blueberry farm project
Tenure options desired:For Lease
Description of tenure options desired:
Secondly sale (if affordable)
Partnership as a concrete possibility (terms of the partnership to be agreed in subsequent conversations)
Experience & education:Formal agricultural education, Farm employee, Farm internship/apprenticeship
1996 - 2000: Universidad de Chile. Santiago, Chile. Agronomic Engineer/Agronomist: Specialty in Fruticulture.
1994 - 1995: Universidad de Chile. Santiago, Chile. Bachelor in Natural Sciences.
March 2018. “Online Blueberry Physiology Production Systems & Management, Program at Oregon State University”, Oregon State University. Corvallis, Oregon, EE.UU.
June 2012. “Formation of Agricultural Appraisers” course, 28 hours. PROCAMPO LTDA. Rancagua, Chile.
August 2010. “Formulation, Preparation, and Evaluation of Projects” course, 12 hours. IFOSANA - Colegio de Ingenieros Agronomos de Chile. Santiago, Chile.
Additional knowledge/work experience
Supervision and coordination of fresh produce export processes.
Food safety certification according to good agricultural practices and quality standards.
Supervision of food services.
Inspection and monitoring of pests and diseases.
Pre shipment inspection and cargo consolidation.
Pre and post - harvest procedures